![]() |
| X-ray from surgery #3 |
At the end of September I had a check up with Dr. Steeves. My x-rays showed that my ankle bone, the talus, was ever so slightly out of place. With the fibula where it should be, it was causing the tibia and talus to grind together and the resulting arthritis was already showing up on the x-rays. It also explained my chronic pain and the swelling. We tentatively booked a surgery date for the first week of my winter break, and made an appointment for November, to see if anything improved or got worse.
In the time leading up to that appointment, my physio coverage ran out and I actually became more active on my feet due to my busy school schedule. I started to have more bad days than good ones. Some days were so bad I had to use the walking cast because I just couldn't afford to take the day off. November came and the x-rays showed I had barely any cartilage left in the joint and the arthritis was deep. Dr. Steeves and I decided to go ahead with surgery. The plan: fuse the talus and tibia.
So on December 16 2015, almost two years after first breaking my leg, I went under the knife for the fourth time.
![]() |
| Dr Steeves and I |
Because of these past complications, they decided to admit me into the hospital overnight for this surgery. The operation itself took about three hours. Dr Steeves explained that they would be opening my old incisions and taking out my old metal, making a couple small incisions for the scopes so they could cut away the bone from around the damaged joint before fusing it together with a few screws. In addition to the nerve block behind me knee that lasts a day or so, my anesthesiologist added a long-acting morphine to my spinal, and an anti-anxiety med to the sedation. This time I stayed asleep and didn't freak out.
I went into surgery at 11:00 am and I woke up in the recovery ward at around 4:30 in the afternoon. The nurse observing me was really cool, we got to talking about photography and my family. I was waking up much better than last time and I wasn't in any pain because of the morphine and the nerve block in my knee. After an hour or so under observation they took me to a room on the surgical ward. Thats when things got rough. My oxygen was low so they had to put the air tube around my nose again. My blood pressure was really low, I got really itchy from the meds, and I was really nauseous and dizzy. I was able to eat a bit at first, but then I threw up on a nurse. I also couldn't fall asleep, so they ended up putting like four different meds in my IV for itching, sleeping, nausea, and an antibiotic. At midnight I still hadn't been able to go to the washroom on my own and the ultrasound showed my bladder was very full. So I had to get a catheter put in.
![]() |
| Hospital selfie |
Now I'm home to recover over the winter break. I go back to school in three weeks, but I have to spend the next 10-12 weeks completely off my leg! That means wheelchair and crutches and not walking on my own until March. I have a follow up appointment in a couple weeks. I'll try to remember to update here with x-ray pictures.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Id love to hear your thoughts and I always make an effort to engage with my readers.
Keep it classy.
(Harassing or insulting messages will be removed and reported)