I fell.
I landed on my hands and knees pretty hard with my bike underneath me, my left hand getting twisted in the spokes of my wheel and my knees scraping the pavement. I was already late for my appointment and really embarrassed by my graceless fall, so I hurried in. Once I got settled in the clinic, I realized my left hand was throbbing really bad and swelling up. My physiotherapist took a look at it, icing it for a bit and then poking it while I cried. He said I needed x-rays.
So after physio I went to the Emergency Room. As much as I hate hospitals, none of the clinics nearby had x-ray machines. Interestingly, this was not the same hospital where I went for my broken leg. The wait was forever and the anxiety made me wanna run home. The triage nurse called my wrist "gross". The x-ray tech apologised for making me cry. The doctor I saw said that I had fractured a teeny tiny bone in my wrist called the scaphoid, but she didn't know how bad. These kinds of fractures are really hard to see on x-ray until after they start healing. Based on my swelling, bruising, where my pain is, and how I fell, she was sure it was a scaphoid fracture.
I got sent to Ortho to have a splint put on my arm. I have to go back in two weeks for a check-up. Until then I'll have to make do with a useless left hand, but at least it's a perpetual thumbs up.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Id love to hear your thoughts and I always make an effort to engage with my readers.
Keep it classy.
(Harassing or insulting messages will be removed and reported)