April 14, 2014

Checkup

I had my appointment with Dr. Steeves at the hospital today. They took off my old cast and WOAH was it gross. They did cut me open in two places. After they took the cast off, I was sent for x-rays. Check out my boinic ankle! That one screw on the left looks crazy! I'm seriously curious as to how they got it in there. The only part of my leg that hurts at this point is my incision. Also, apparently I broke my ankle in THREE places! My surgeon said he usualy deals with trauma breaks, shattered arms and such. All I did was slip on a tiny patch of ice and BAM I get to spend the next 6 months recovering. So out of curiosity, I looked up what a normal ankle x-ray should look like... And man was my ankle ever messed up! I look like I got run over by a truck... ALL I DID WAS SLIP ON ICE!! Someone please explain this to me.

Normal ankle
My ankle pre-surgery
Post-surgery













I ended up having to go with the air cast. I want to heal faster and with an air cast there's less permanent stiffness in my ankle afterwards. Sometimes no matter how much physio you do there's nothing to recover the range of motion you once had. Ten years ago I was stabbed in the hand and I still have stiffness even now, after all the therapy I did. Also with the air cast I can take it off to scratch itches and take showers. The only downside is the price tag it had... $120.00!!!
I'm still not allowed to walk on my ankle. Not for four more weeks. And even after that I wont be walking around right away. After 4 weeks I'll keep wearing the air cast when I walk and it will be 3 months before I'm walking without any help. And when I do sports ill have to wear a brace. It wont be until September or October that I'll be as good as it gets.
I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't get a plaster cast that I could draw on, but then I saw one girl at the hospital who had blinged out her air cast! I've seen the sticky backed rhinestones at the dollar store. I could also hot glue ribbon bows to it like I saw in Pinterest. I think I got some leopard print duct tape kicking around somewhere.
AIR CAST DECORATING PARTY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Id love to hear your thoughts and I always make an effort to engage with my readers.
Keep it classy.

(Harassing or insulting messages will be removed and reported)