If I had know that Saturday morning on March 29th that I was going to break my leg and ankle in less than an hour, I might not have gotten out of bed. I don't think anyone in their right mind would.
Saturday March 29th was the Ottawa Stake Volley Ball Tournament. I am not the athletic type by far. But this was a friendly competition between church members from across the city. I had been practicing with my team for a few weeks and in the games leading up to the tournament, I could feel myself getting better, coordinating with my team to set up the ball and get it over the net. I discovered I was really good at blocking spikes. Probably because I'm 5 foot 10. But I was very proud of my progress. And really looking forward to the tournament.
So I woke up Saturday morning and put my gym shoes, knee pads and gym clothes in my bag. Even though it was late march, it was much too cold out for shorts. I grabbed a muffin and banana on my way out the door, eating them on the way to the bus stop.
Just after 8 in the morning, I got off the bus just around the block from the church where the tournament was going to be held. Only one person got off the bus with me and I didn't recognize her. She crossed the street right away, but I walked to the corner to cross at the crosswalk. My bad. As I approached the corner, I stepped onto black ice. I felt my foot begin to slip under me. I hate the graceless act that is falling on one's bottom. So I tried to off-balance myself so as to regain balance... but instead my leg made a crunching grinding sound I will never forget and a sudden explosion of pain dropped me flat on my back.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Id love to hear your thoughts and I always make an effort to engage with my readers.
Keep it classy.
(Harassing or insulting messages will be removed and reported)